Fall, 2017 Holy Family
Dear Friends, Here are some events and programs for you to know about for this fall. For a list of parish groups, go to www.holyfamilychurch.com and click on “Ministries.”
One focus we will have, this season, is on the Virgin Mary: The reverence and love Catholics have for the Virgin Mary though is sometimes misunderstood – And that some people misunderstand asking for the prayers of Mary and the other saints and see that as conflicting with a focus on Jesus is, I feel, simply because they have never thought it through: That Catholics turn to Jesus for salvation, but they also turn to earthly friends and family AND heavenly friends and family for prayers along the way of following our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in a personal relationship and as part of the Church that Jesus started and gave to us. And this fall we’ll think about the motherly and humble way Mary can be a help to us in remembering to follow Jesus with devotion. So, this fall we’ll have:
- A Bible Study on Mary with morning and evening sessions and childcare provided.
- On the weekend of Oct 14 and 15, giveaways including 1200 bracelets with a twitter message about the Virgin Mary, a booklet on HOW TO SAY THE ROSARY for adults and kids, and FREE ROSARIES.
- On Oct 14th and at Faith Formation, we'll have LIVING ROSARIES with many people participating in this ancient prayer.
- And from Oct 22 through Oct 30 a “Novena” (nine days of prayers) to “Mary Undoer of Knots.”
SMALL FAITH-SHARING GROUPS
- This year’s fall parish-wide Study is on “Queen of Heaven, Mary’s Battle for You.” Encounter Mary like never before. Accompany Mary from her Immaculate Conception through her Assumption and beyond. Classes begin Wed, Sept 20th, AM & PM. Go to www.holyfamilychurch.com to register or contact Christy at email@example.com or 443-607-4029. Both sessions will have childcare.
- Monday Evening Bible Study: Please join us for our study of the Gospel of Mark, on Mondays, Sept 18-Nov 13, from 7:00-8:30pm in classroom 12. At the first meeting we will distribute the study sets, which are $15. Please sign up after Masses (or online or through emailing Christy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tina at email@example.com.
- Young Adult Bible Study: Please join us in a 24 week journey through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation! This series by Jeff Cavins will open your eyes to God's interactions with His people throughout history. Join us on the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month at 6:30pm at Holy Family in classroom 15. Contact Gina (firstname.lastname@example.org/412-513-9518) or Alex (email@example.com/203-848-8996).
- YOUNG ADULT RETREAT: Join us at our annual Young Adult retreat! This year's theme is "Reason to Hope." The event will take place at Holy Family Catholic Church on Sept 9 from 9:30am - 8pm. If you are between 18 and 35, register by contacting Gina at firstname.lastname@example.org/412-513-9518 or Alex at email@example.com/203-848-8996. Registration is $5 and includes both Lunch and Dinner. Hope to see you there!
- Holy Family Men’s Groups: Men's Groups meet three times each week: Every other week of the month: Wed 7:30pm / Classroom 10, Thurs 6:15am /chapel and Sat 7am/ classroom 10. Facilitators are Frank Klein and David Springer. Contact Jim at HFMM24@gmail.com.
- Walking With Purpose, (WWP) is offering both AM & PM Sessions Thursdays, beginning Sept 21, 9:30-11am & 7:10-8:30pm (Childcare will be available for the morning session.) Books are included. Choose from 2 Studies: Opening Your Heart (22 weeks): Join us as we take a deeper dive into the core questions that affect experiencing all that God has for us. We will also be offering Beholding His Glory (9 weeks) that shows us how all Scripture points us to our Redeemer, Jesus Christ. As we look at Old Testament, we’ll encounter problems that only Christ will solve. Contact Dodie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Book Club meets on the second Mon of each month, beginning on Sept 11, from 7pm-9pm in the library. Book Club is a great way to have fun, meet people, learn something new and enhance Christian values. Join us! Contact Betty for more info - email@example.com or
- MAKING MUSIC, PRAYING TWICE: MUSIC CLASS FOR 1 TO 3 YEAR OLDS, CHILDREN’S LIBRARY. Begins on Sept. 12 in the morning.
- MEN’S OPEN GYM – 2nd and 4th Mondays each month 7:30pm–8:30pm sponsored by Holy Family, at Riva Trace Baptist Church. In Sept the 11th and 25th. Joe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FRIDAY FELLOWSHIP: FRI AT 9:30am IN JMJ CAFÉ: BRIDGE, MAHJONG, CRIBBAGE, PINOCHLE , ETC. Games and socializing. Begins on Fri. Sept 8.
- SUN OCT. 29, 4pm in parish parking lot: TRUNK OR TREAT candy exchange for families.
- PARISH NURSERY during 9:15 & 11am Masses resumes in Sept. Contact Cyndi.
- SATURDAY NIGHT FAMILY NITES: We will have family Masses on Saturdays at 5pm with a meal/refreshments and some kind of program/games in Unity Hall following Mass. Oct. 14 with pizza dinner and living rosary; Nov. 18, and Dec. 2 with carols, cocoa and refreshments.
SPECIAL MASSES AND LITURGICAL EVENTS THIS FALL:
- First Saturday Masses are each month during the school year. Next Mass is Sat, Sept 2 in the Chapel. Confessions are at 8:00 and Mass will begin at 8:30. Oct 4, Nov 4, Dec 2.
- The Rosary: Every Monday night at 6:30pm in the chapel, and every First Friday at the home of Rosie Sheppard at email@example.com.
- 5pm Sunday Night Masses: Sept 10, Oct, 1, Nov. 5, Dec. 3, Jan. 7.
- Mon. Sept. 4, 9am Mass in the chapel. Labor Day Mass
- Sept 24-25 weekend, all Masses, Weekend of Prayer for Unity in our Country
- Sept 30-Oct 1 weekend: We will bless military, police, and fire and EMT dispatchers at each Mass and we’ll give them St. Michael the Archangel medals.
- Sun. Oct. 8, 1pm Blessing of the Animals for the Feast of St. Francis: outside the front of the church. Holy cards (for people) and gifts for animals given away.
- Tues Oct. 17, 7pm in the church, TEACHING MASS
- Wed. Nov. 1, 9am and 7pm: All Saints Day Masses
- Thurs Nov. 2, 7am and 7pm: All Souls Day (at this Mass we will read the names of all who have died through the parish in the last year.)
- Sun. Nov. 5, 11am, Remembrance Mass: At this Mass we will read the names of all who have died through the parish in the last year. With a light reception afterwards.
- Tues Nov 14, 7pm, HEALING MASS in the church with Fr. Binoy
- Wed, Nov 22, 7pm. Ecumenical Service for Thanksgiving. Site TBA.
- Thurs, Nov 23, 10am. Thanksgiving Day: Bring non-perishable food items for OLPH pantry.
- Dec 2-3 FIRST WEEKEND OF ADVENT. Reflection booklets for adults and children for Advent given away at all Masses
- Thurs Dec 7 at 7pm and Fri Dec 8 at 9am. Immaculate Conception Masses.
- Tues. Dec. 12, 7:30pm Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- This year Christmas Eve happens on a Sunday evening. SO THAT the Fourth Sunday of Advent is Sunday morning, Dec 24th, and Christmas Eve starts that same evening.
- Sat, Dec 23, 3:30pm confessions and 5pm Mass
- Sun Dec 24, NO 7:45AM MASS, then 9:15am and 11am Masses
- A free book about our faith will be given away at all Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Masses
- Christmas Eve Masses: Sun, Dec 24, 3:30pm/church, 3:30pm/hall, 5:30pm/church, 5:30pm/hall (childrens’ message), 7:30pm, 10pm.
- Christmas Day Mass: Mon, Dec 25, 9:15 and 11am
- Wed. Dec. 27, 7:30pm in the chapel, “Mass for Families who have lost a child.”
- Monday, Jan. 1, 2018, New Year’s Day Mass at 11am
THE SACRAMENT OF CONFESSION:
- Confession is available every Saturday 3:30pm – 5pm in the church.
- And also monthly on “confession days” in the church at 8am, 11am and 7pm on the following Wednesdays: Sept 13, Oct 11, Nov 8, and Nov 13.
- And we will have multiple priests available on Tues Dec. 19 at 7pm in the church.
SECULAR FRANCISCANS: Follow Jesus in the footsteps of St. Francis. Monthly meetings. Contact at Ron at 443-822-5373 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE PRAYER GROUP prays for intentions, has healing Masses, and prays for parishioners after the 11am Mass. Meetings are on Tues evenings at 7pm in the chapel. Rose King at email@example.com.
- Friday Fellowship: Program for adults! Join us after daily Mass for a game of cards or a round of Mahjong! Bridge anyone? Email Cyndi Zajic at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sun Sept 10, 12:30pm – 3:30pm, "PARISH PICNIC” with a Mass in the church 5pm. Parish provides hamburgers, hot dogs and drinks. Slide, Pony Rides, Games. This year, also, you are invited to bring a name tag decorated to reflect your interests and personality (Fr. Andy’s will have a recliner chair on it.)
- Mon Sept 25, Holy Family Golf Tournament. Our 7th annual tournament will be held at Old South Country Club with a dinner back at Pirates Cove Restaurant. It's great fun and fellowship and helps our parish. We raised $10,000 last year. Aside from players at any level we also need donations of silent auction items and tee box sponsors. Contact Chris Jedrey: Cell: 443 474-8395 and email email@example.com.
- Sat Oct. 21, Leave at 3:30pm, Parish Trip to our Sister Parish, St. Gregory’s. Free. Comfortable bus, a Gospel Mass, and a great dinner. Contact Joan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Oct. 25, noon, Senior Luncheon – All seniors are invited. Octoberfest theme.
- Thurs. Nov 23, 10am Mass Thanksgiving Day: Bring non-perishable food items.
- Sun Dec 2 after 5pm mass in the JMJ: Carols and Cocoa
- Sun Dec 10 at noon. Christmas Pageant and Concert with Play and Sing-Along. All children from Catholic Schools and Religious Ed are welcome to be a part of this event. Please contact Sandy at email@example.com.
- Sun. Dec. 17 after all Masses. Breakfast with Santa. Sponsored by the youth group.
- Faith Formation Registration: For 2017-2018. Register now to get your children into class. Contact Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-798-5680 with questions. Or, go to www.holyfamilychurch.com on the home page and look for faith formation registration info.
- Faith Formation for youth and children who have missed sacraments: Has your child missed sacraments? We have just the program for them to not be in classes with younger kids. Meets on Sunday mornings. Contact Sandy at email@example.com or 410-798-5680.
- First Reconciliation typically happens in the fall of the 2nd-grade, and First Holy Communion in the spring. Attend one of the Parent Mandatory meetings for the sacraments on September 12 or September 18 at 6:30pm in Unity Hall. Contact Religious Ed Office with questions. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parish Nursery (for children under the age of 4) is open during the 9:15am and 11am Masses. To Volunteer, contact email@example.com
- Liturgy of the Word for Children: Bring God’s word to our little ones. Children leave mass for a teaching on the Sunday readings and then return to family in Mass. Contact the Office of Religious Education.
- Altar Servers needed – Please contact Kevin Burgess at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Childrens’ Choir: Pre-K through 8th grade welcome. We sing 3rd Sun of the month. Please contact Michelle at email@example.com.
Middle School Youth group:
- 7pm – 8:30pm 2nd Fri of the Month in youth room. Sept 8, Oct 13, Nov 10, Dec 15.
- Middle School Halloween Dance, Fri Oct 27, 7pm-9:30pm.
High School Youth group:
- 5:30pm – 7:30pm in the youth room. Sept 17, 24, Oct 8, 15, 22, 29, Nov 12, 19, Dec 10, 17.
- Winter Retreat for grades 9-12 at Camp Wabanna, Dec 1-3.
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes Huddle – Led by Zach Rowe, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church Food Pantry. Check the bulletin for what to donate. Pantry is desperately in need of plastic grocery bags to help distribute food. Consider packing some with your donations. Please check dates on all food.
- Haiti Feeding Program: Over 300 students at St. Elizabeth of Hungary School in Perodin, Haiti, now are having lunch four days a week through generosity from HF & OLPH. We are now trying to help raise funds for one of the school buildings, furnishings, supplies and more trained teachers for the new 7th grade. For info contact Nancy at email@example.com.
- St. Vincent de Paul Society: We help several clients each week with rent/fuel/food assistance. All clients are screened by a team of people with expertise in different areas. Donations can be made through the poor boxes in the church. Checks made payable to Holy Family Church.
- Winter Relief: We will house about 40 homeless at our church from Dec 4-11. Information upcoming on how to volunteer.
- Environmental Committee of Holy Family: Help with making our parish campus more beautiful and more environmentally responsible. Some outside work. YOUR FAMILY CAN ALSO ADOPT A TREE OUT BACK. Contact Chris, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- St. Vincent de Paul Clothing Bin: Please remember to place your donated clothes in plastic bags before putting them in the bin in the lower level lot. Clothes that are tossed in get damp and moldy. If the bin is full, please do not leave bags outside exposed to the elements.
- Sew Time: Get your raffle tickets early for this year’s “Haiti Raffle Quilt” at the church picnic on Sept 10 (drawing is at the Haiti Bull Roast at OLPH in January 2018). Our next meeting is on Tues, Sept 19 – 6:30pm at HF, classrooms 12&13. Annual Holiday Sale on Nov 18-19. For more information about Sew Time please contact HF Rep - Barbara Harmel at email@example.com or OLPH Rep - Pam Hines at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Greeters at Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals: Our volunteers greet people at these events, open the church, and answer questions. Contact Delores at email@example.com or 410-798-0551.
- Lazarus Funeral Lunches: Bring food and maybe help serve a funeral lunch reception provided for family & friends of deceased parishioners. Barb at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be a Greeter at Mass! Greeters show up 20 mins before a single Mass on the weekend to greet people. You can get info about getting involved in this ministry by clicking the “greeter” icon on the opening page of www.holyfamilychurch.com.
- Help with the Welcome Table at Mass! People at the “Welcome Table” answer questions before and a single Mass on a weekend. You can get info about getting involved in this ministry by clicking the “Welcome Table” icon on the opening page of www.holyfamilychurch.com.
- 40 Days for Life: From Wed Sept 27 through Sun Nov 5 there will be a loving, prayerful witness at 929 West Street -- near the Annapolis Planned Parenthood -- Mon thru Sat from 7am – 7pm by people of faith from throughout the area. Holy Family is asking for your presence from 11am – 2pm on Thursdays Sept 28, Oct 5, 12, 19, 26, Nov. 2. To sign up/ help please contact Katherine at email@example.com.
- Healing the Wounds of Abortion: Rachel's Vineyard Baltimore reaches out to all women and men hurting emotionally and spiritually after involvement with abortion. For info http://www.rvbaltimore.org or firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-625-8491.
- Sign up for the Catholic Advocacy Network (CAN) to get updates from the Maryland Catholic Conference on how to contact your representatives. Sign up at www.mdcathcon.org/can
Separated, Divorced, Widowed Group: We are a group building friendship and fellowship with others who share our state of life. Our next meeting is Fri, Sept 15 at 6:30pm in classrooms 10 & 11. Paul and Terry Natishan are coming down from Pennsylvania to lead this meeting! And Fr. Andy is heading a meeting in October.
Understanding Your Grief: The 2017 “Understanding Your Grief” meets monthly with a seven-week course in the spring. Contact Dave email@example.com.
Our Family Minister, Cyndi, a social worker, is also available to talk or to give advice in issues relating to family, marriage and relationships.
Marriage Encounter Couples’ Retreats: Visit moments4marriage.org, or call 410-665-5700
Uplift your marriage: foryourmarriage.org or in SPANISH at portumatrimonio.org
Galeone Married Couples’ Retreats: Priestfield Spiritual Center. www.priestfield.org and click “programs” or Frank and Elaine Galeone at 410-252-5355 to register.
Retrouvaille is a Catholic weekend retreat designed to help hurting couples mend. For info & to register 443-400-7017 or firstname.lastname@example.org. www.HelpOurMarriage.com.
Choir - Sundays at the 9:15am Mass (rehearsal Thurs, 7:30pm) Ron Brown at email@example.com.
Men's Choir - 1st Sun of the month at the 11am Mass. Contact: Ron Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Mass Music Group: 5p Sat night Mass once a month. Joe at email@example.com
Contemporary Music Group - 3rd and 4th Sunday of the Month at the 11am Mass and the 1st Sunday of the month at the 5pm Sunday Mass. Contact Bill MacDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cantors to lead hymns during Mass. Rehearse one Wed/month at 7:30pm. Joe at